Saturday, March 19, 2005

Real Time Review: Hacienda Merlot Clair de Lune 2002 (NW)

This is a real time review as I am typing while I open the bottle and taste the wine.

Hacienda Merlot Clair de Lune 2002 has a young, bright color in the glass. It delivers a nice nose of cherry, blackberry, and strawberry. The wine is smooth and silky on the palate, with a smooth, simple finish and soft tannins.

Time to pour a full glass and enjoy! This happens to be my favorite $5 wine. Yes, that's right, $5 per bottle. An amazing value for sure. It is a simple, every day wine that I turn to when I don't want to ponder over an academic selection for the evening. I first discovered this wine as part of a wine flight at Cab's Wine Bar and Bistro in Glen Ellyn, Illinois in 2000. I was impressed that it was as good or better than the $15 wines on the flight. With some difficulty, I located a supply of it at a wine merchant in California and have placed several orders. On internet searches, I've seen the wine selling for as much as $9 in some locations. Look for it and give it a try, even if you're not a big Merlot fan. I'm not usually a Merlot drinker, myself, but Hacienda steals the show for five bucks! Raise a glass! -NW

No comments:

Post a Comment