Saturday, March 26, 2005

Quick Swirl: Cakebread Chardonnay 2003 (NW)

Cakebread Chardonnay 2003:

Light golden color
Fruity and creamy on the nose and palate
Nice acidity on the finish
Well balanced

...But a little boring! I know this wine is well made and has lots of fans, but it's gotten expensive and I'm not sure you get anything interesting for the price. This is my second tasting of this wine and I will admit, it pairs well with food due to nice acidity and overall well-balanced character. But it now retails for $35/bottle or so and I see it in restaurants for $60-80. There are other well-balanced Chardonnays for much, much less. And personally, I like to find a Chardonnay that has some interesting qualities and stands out in the crowd. (Very big crowd- Chardonnay is the most planted grape varietal in the world and dominates the white wine shelves from coast to coast.) Buy it on an expense account...and if you have an expense account, raise a glass!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:23 PM

    I've always loved the name of this winery and yet, I don't think I've ever had a single wine of theirs.

    ReplyDelete