Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Kono Sauvignon Blanc 2004 (PB)

While in L. A. I stopped in a big wine store with all kinds of bargains. I grabbed this New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region and have I cannot for the life of me remember why!
With all the selections, there has to be some reason I selected this wine to wrap in my clothing, and with my pillow packing it into my suitcase for the dubious trip back to New England.

Tonight I opened it with Fillo dough wrapped, deboned pork chops with an apricot glaze. Wow! This wine is typical New Zealand with a bouquet of fresh cut apples and guava. How do I know guava? While in L.A. we visited my son’s-in-law (that IS the grammatically correct way to say that) father’s house. He has a huge guava tree in the yard and my son in law climbed up and picked me a very ripe guava. I smelled it and said WOW! I handed it o my wife and asked, “What does this smell like?” It smells just like a New Zealand S. Blanc; the aroma I have been calling grassy is GUAVA–big time!
This wine is highly acidic in a good way and is fresh with big pear and guava flavors with a a sense of creaminess on the palate yet it finishes it clean and dry.

The finish just keeps going on of pears, grass and lusciously tart. At $10, this is yet another fabulous New Zealand S. Blanc reminiscent of the recommended “Monkey Bay.”

Raise a glass–you’ll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment