Saturday, October 15, 2005

Clos de los Siete 2003 (NW)

Clos de los Siete 2003:

Big nose of dark fruit
Rick layers of berries and dark chocolate
Smooth texture, followed by strong tannins on the finish

I was looking for an interesting wine from Argentina and I didn't want another straight up Malbec varietal. This looked to be a little different. The label says it's a blend of Malbec, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Syrah, and is a project of Michel Rolland. I was interested enough to shell out the $15 to bring one home. On opening, it's obviously a very powerful, dark wine in color and on the nose. It is well balanced and has nice layers of dark berries and dark chocolate. The surprise was how silky and smooth it felt in the mouth at first but finished with a tannin bite. It's an interesting wine and I would be curious enough to see how it cellars for a few years. I wonder if the tannins will mellow and the other layers will develop even further. I guess I just made up my mind and will probably grab a couple more bottles and stash them away. Raise a glass!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:40 PM

    Could not agree more with - what will happen with time. This wine is very forward with the fruit upfront but a big strong back in the classic style - with time if the front and the back developed evenly this would be world class!

    ReplyDelete