Sunday, December 17, 2006

Lenz Old Vines 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon Review by Billy


Full disclosure--whenever our friends from various wineries send us wine to review we are sure to let you know that. The folks at Lenz Winery on Long Island New York sent each of us at the wine cask 6 bottles to review. This is the third of the 6 Lenz wines I have reviewed. I consulted no tasting notes or other reviews in the writing of this review.

We had some dinner guests over for dinner this evening and I wanted to have something special. Given that I had this bottle at the ready and needed to do a review anyway, I decided to kill two birds with one stone. What a treat! I am glad I did.

Here are the notes I wrote in my journal from a bit earlier this evening:
In the glass this 2001 Lenz Old Vines Cabernet Sauvignon was an inky plumb at the core with a fireengine red at edge. Still showing youthful in the glass suggesting aging potential.

Nose: Leather, Vanilla Creme, Dark Cherry. Very Rich and promising.
Palate: Fantastic balance and huge rich mouth feel.
Finish: soft and tapering in an even decrescendo. Not overly green or peppery. Quite a fine wine.

I have to be honest, this is a great Cab and able to stand toe to toe against any premium California cab and not blink first. I have to admit that my expectations of a New York Cab were not great but this bottle has substantially raised the bar.

In a word, WONDERFUL!

You can order direct from Lenz Winery on Long Island, NY HERE.

See PB's review of this wine HERE.

Raise a Glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment