Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Braidenwood Estates Cabernet Sauvignon (N.V.) wine review by (PB)

This wine was sitting in a bin with a Merlot and a Chardonnay by the same vintner all half bottles and a sign that was pushing them—2 for $6.

Since I had not heard of this winery, I thought I would give it a try. (Some of these wines can really surprise you.)

There is light fruit in the bouquet with fresh cherries at the rear. The bouquet reminds me a bit of a red jug wine. It is shallow but certainly drinkable. With a few minutes of air, this wine actually gives up a cinnamon spice in the nose which is both stunning and quite nice. This wine would be less than $6 for a full bottle and frankly you can do a lot worse.

Raise a glass to cheap value quaffs.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:14 AM

    My friend and I tried this wine tonight and it was not really that great. It is comparable to a fermented watered down apple juice. We paid $ .99 for a half bottle for this less than exuberant chard. I cannot spell out chardonnay for this wine because it does not deserve such an elegant title.
    My friend said if a grape is going to be stomped on, please take off your socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:44 PM

    I took a chance on the little half bottle and well I was unimpressed. It has a decent peppery finish but the intial blast at the tip of the tongue is maybe half tobacco/half mildew.

    ReplyDelete