Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Silverado Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 Wine Review (NW)


Tasting notes:

Big nose of berries, currants, and some chocolate
Voluptuous texture, round and smooth on the palate
Toasty finish with layers of dark fruit and vanilla

I've seen this wine on a lot of restaurant menus lately. In fact, it was the "high end" Cab offering at two restaurants I've been to in the past month. Both restaurants had the price by the glass at $18, which is no surprise considering the bottle retails for around $40 in a wine shop.

Both times I had this wine, it paired just fine with my steaks. I wonder, though, if the wine is a little bit too soft. The flavor profile is nice, but it seems a little round and smooth. I know that sounds critical, but for $40 in Bordeaux you can get a wine with good flavors and a backbone that suggests strength, elegance, and ageing potential.

Prices for Napa Valley Cab never surprise me though. They are high and trending higher. For an expense account wine at a steakhouse, when you don't want to spend over $100 a bottle, this will probably please your guests. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment