Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Perrin Reserve 2004 Cotes Du Rhone wine review by (PB)

Crisp garnet in color with gentle but fragrant bouquet marks this Southern France wine. It is really closed on opening with peppery and hot tones.

With air, the wine is full of pepper and classic old world wine. It is made from 60% Grenache, 20% Syrah, 10% Mourvedre and 10% Cinsault. It does not taste like Grenache but its not bad. Wine Spectator rated this wine 84 points--not the 87 I had originally thought--which is a fair review. For $9, it is just “okay.” (Note--comments below)

3 comments:

  1. Hey there PB,

    I know how some inexpensive Rhone reds taste hot and peppery. The funny thing is: the reason I liked this bottle so much (and bought copious amounts on sale) is that it doesn't seem too hot or peppery. I hope you only had an off bottle and would try more. I think it's the easiest-drinking everyday wine there is! Such a beautifully light and simple expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:45 AM

    Actually, after double checking, The Wine Spectator gave this wine an 84 not the 87 I thought. That is certainly closer to what I would rate the wine. In my book, there should be a marked difference between an 84 and an 87 point wine.

    Could indeed have been bottle variation or even--and this is quite possible-- a subclinical case of a cold coming on messing up my taster. I'll give it another shot. Thanks! (PB)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:45 AM

    I love Cotes du Rhones as well. Over the years I was able to include a few of them in my Rhone wine label collection at http://www.klatcher.com/wine_labels/50_Rhone_Wine_Labels

    ReplyDelete