Sunday, December 04, 2005

Wishing Tree Shiraz 2004 (Wine Review) by (PB)

This Aussie red varietal comes from grapes grown in Western Australia (66%) and Southern Australia (34%). It is more ruby than dark like Shiraz tends to be.
The bouquet is yeasty on opening with red berries and cranberries in the nose with some interesting spice.

It is sweet and very rich with solid flavors that are big, intense with some toast notes mixed in. This is a classic new world wine that is in your face, though has a decent balance and finish. This wine is made in the “sweet” style which I tend to not enjoy as much as a dryer version. The new world boldness is almost too, in your face for my preference. I bought a mixed case of wines by Wishing Tree so was able to land this wine for less than $9 a bottle. I bought a mixed case without tasting first, something I have warned against doing. Would I have bought 6 bottles of this wine if I had tasted it first? No. That’s not to say it’s not a good wine; it is. But remember wine is about preference and this wine style is just not my first choice. So, raise a glass with something hefty!

No comments:

Post a Comment