Friday, December 23, 2005

Chateau Lynch Bages 2002 Wine Review (NW)

Enchanting nose of berries, currants, and smoke
Add tobacco and leather on the palate
Silky texture and nice, lengthy finish

I know, I know- this wine is too young to drink. But I really wanted to try it. Because of that, I opened just a half bottle and shared it with my wife. It does taste fresh, young, and lively. The layers are evident on the nose and through the finish. Of course, good Lynch Bages has the ability to age gracefully and has proven that over the years. I might pick some up to add to my cellar. At $20, this half bottle was priced fairly and, truthfully, tasted like a steal. I think $40 for a full bottle of this wine is a very good price. The shop I was in didn't have any 750mL bottles in, anyway.

Lynch Bages can deliver that special Bordeaux experience. I've had that experience with a 1990 Lynch Bages that seemed like it was getting better with every sip. The young 2002 is quite drinkable, but isn't as mysterious and enchanting as an older bottle. If you find some from the early to mid-1990's in a local shop, which is highly possible, it's worth doing a little research to see if it's a wine worth picking up. Having a great Bordeaux once in a while can be a real treat for any wine lover and Lynch Bages is capable of being a great wine at a reasonable price. Raise a glass!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:05 PM

    At first you must be a owner of Lynch Bages 2002!

    weinfreak@sms.at

    Greetings Reinhard

    ReplyDelete