Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz-Cabernet 2004 wine review by (PB)




This Aussie creation is an intense dark purple with pipe tobacco aromas and dark plum fruit with a touch of pepper at the end.

Peppery jammy fruit hit the palate in this new world fruit forward flavor bomb accompanied by a touch of bread and chocolate.

With some air time, the wine is just fuller with dark berry flavors abounding. This is a BIG wine. Drink accordingly. I paid under $11 for it. It's tasty and full but a carbon copy of so many other Shiraz's. Raise a glass.

4 comments:

  1. I've been drinking a lot of Shirazes lately. Not Penfold's, which you review, but Rosemount, Jacob's Creek, Errazuriz, in addition to a slew of Old World versions. I prefer the ones that stand out from the crowd (like the ones above) because as you say, many of them can seem rather staid after a while.

    You should check out the WBW event happening this week. The topic is New World Shiraz. I've linked to more details over here. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcus--Let us know if/when you find some super value Shiraz's. I'd like to try some if there is such a thing. The ones I have found that I adore are pricey--K Vintners; Jaffurs; for eg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happened to pick this up on monday night and I mostly agree with your assessment.

    It is a "flavor bomb," as you put it. I thought I smelled some strawberry notes as well.

    I would definitely rate this better than the Bogle Petit Syrah you reviewd a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:14 PM

    I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

    www.americanlegends.blogspot.com

    If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete