Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Origin Rioja Reserva 1998 wine review by (PB)


(NW) was up for the weekend so I thought I would orchestrate a little fun for us. I asked him to bring a bottle of something neither one of us had ever had (red) and the only stipulation was that it had to cost over $20.

I picked this wine up at local grocery store because a. I was curious about the "Origin" wines which I have never tasted. b. The Rioja's I have had were very tasty and usually good values; and c. this one had some age on it.

Both bottles were poured blind and breathed for about an hour. On tasting the first wine which was this one, I wrote that it was the Rioja without knowing of course what (NW) had brought. In other words I had nothing to compare it to and just went on past experience with Rioja wine which are made from the Tempranillo grape.

this wine had a ruby rim with medium garnet bowl and what I can only describe as a Barolo like aroma in the bouquet which I love. There was slight steel with a hint of licorice and a touch of faint vanilla.

In the mouth the wine was at a nice serving temperature; showing bready flavor and a mature presence in the mouth. Nicely balanced and soft with a peppery finish. I liked this wine and while it wasn't wowing, it was very nice and a fair price at $25. Be sure to read (NW's) review of the same wine(s) in this fun little tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment