Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mark West Pinot Noir 2005 Wine Review (NW)

Nose of red cherry and raspberry
Dry, fruity core with herbal tones
Steely finish with some faint spice notes

I wanted more from this wine, but it remained steely and austere. I like Pinot Noir to be more voluptuous. However, with this varietal more than any other, you get what you pay for.

This bottle was $11 on sale from $14. I haven't come across very many memorable Pinot Noir's for under $15. I'd love to find some. More often, I hear praise reserved only for wines $30 and up.

In my cellar, I've got a couple more in the $15 range that I'll have to try soon. Any recommendations out there in this price range? Let me know and I'll raise a glass!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:30 PM

    Hayman & Hill pinot noir reserve selection #41 2005 is about as good as you are going to get for the $15 range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:18 PM

    agree on the hayman & hill, it is nice. also, the bridgeview blue moon pinot noir. it is more in the $19 to $23 range, but $20 better than the Mark West.

    ReplyDelete