Friday, November 10, 2006

Casa Lapostolle Cuvee Alexander Requinoa Vineyard Syrah 2003 Wine Review (NW)

Juicy nose of berries, chocolate, and cinnamon
Core of dense fruit and anise
Fruity finish with chewy tannins

The Cuvee Alexander wines from Casa Lapostolle are starting to get a little expensive. At least in my neck of the woods, I have a hard time trying to find them for under $20. I paid $22 for this bottle, which I wouldn't want to do on a regular basis.

Disregarding the price for a moment, the wine is good. It has that dark, inky color and rich berry juice that is associated with Chilean reds. Evidence of oak comes through with the touches of chocolate and cinnamon.

I find myself reaching for Syrah more often than I used to. I'm amazed at how much there is now from the new world regions. Obviously, Australia made it big on Syrah (Shiraz), but it's being produced everywhere now. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment