Saturday, March 25, 2006

Hess Collection Mt. Veeder Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 Wine Review (NW)

Big, fragrant nose of wild berries
Creamy palate with white chocolate notes
Good finish, with moderate tannins and layers of vanilla and oak

I was at the Hess winery a few years ago, but I don't specifically remember their Mt. Veeder Cab. I must have missed something because this wine is really good. It has the dark and rich features of Cabernet grapes grown on a mountainside vineyard.

Some bottle aging may benefit this wine and help round out the finish and relax the tannins. Although, it tastes pretty good as a young wine. The pairing was a big New York strip steak and assorted sides, which worked quite well. The restaurant price was $68, which I thought was very well priced. I've seen this wine in stores for $35-40. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment