Thursday, March 23, 2006

Babich Sauvignon Blanc 2004 wine review by (PB)

This New Zealand (Marlborough) is pale straw in color with a big bouquet of ripe, rich figs(?) A hint of citrus and another fruit I cannot identify.

In the mouth this wine is wildly acidic-TART–and austere with a minerally finish with a hint of lemons. After ½ hour it actually relaxes a bit and turns slightly creamy and subtly grassy. Now, this wine was given an 89 rating by the Wine Spectator and the Wine Enthusiast gave this wine at least 90 points and one of the top 100 picks of the year. The bottom line is that I was not crazy about this wine regardless how many points it scored.

This was a solid wine, a good food wine, but I would prefer many other Sauvignon Blancs especially out of New Zealand. I paid $13 for it but have seen it for as much as $20. At $13 it’s a fair wine, but again, not my style. Raise a glass never-the-less!

No comments:

Post a Comment