Sunday, January 23, 2005

Numanthia Termes--another take (PB)

Numanthia Termes (Toro Termes 2000) From the land of conquistadors comes this knock out wine with it’s brilliant garnet hue and fragrant bouquet of homemade bread with a seductive undergarment of *violets, spice, and smoke. The violets are short lived but this is what makes wine so absolutely intriguing. It can change from one moment to the next which is why I always taste every red wine immediately and then about 30 minutes after opening and often one last time sometime later. This Spanish red made from 100% Tinta de Toro has a refined tannic structure that should hold it stable for a few more years. Although this is a bit pricier than I usually pay for a bottle, this was Wine Spectator’s #3 wine of 2004 with a reference price of $31-- I paid $22!

They scored it a 93. Indeed, I'd bump that another point or two! (Oops, actually I just realized that the wine they scored 93 was the 2002; this is the 2000! They scored it 94-- Oh yeah...)

It is now the next day and due to a blizzard, my normal Sunday routine is altered. Instead, I just sat down to eggs and a piece of grilled ribeye leftover from the night before. Dare I have the remainder of this bold nectar? I shall...

UNbelievable! Did I say, UNBELIEVALBE? I meant UN-believable. This wine is now exuding raisins--plump and round, with spicey vanilla notes with a cherry finish. As bold as this wine is, it is so phenomenally well made and balanced that even with the delicate flavor of an egg, this wine is wonderful and enhances this he-man's breakfast. "If I woke up tomorrow with my head stapled to the floor, I couldn't be more surprised" with how wonderful this wine is. (Thanks Clark Griswold...)I am calling the store today where I bought it to have them hold the last bottle I saw on the shelf.


This is a fabulous example of the type of wine bargains that are out there. You could easily pay 5-10 times more for another selection from some prestigious estate or chateau and not have a wine of this quality. If you can find it—buy it…and raise a glass! You won’t regret it!


*You will find that you may pick up something in a bouquet or flavor that someone else does not and vice versa. This is why tasting is somewhat subjective and why your taste and smell is what matters! YOU smell what YOU smell, and YOU taste what YOU taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment