Saturday, April 29, 2023

Pacific Rim Gewurztraminer 2018 Ramos Vineyard


Medium straw hue with aromas of lilacs, sweet baking spices, 

Palate--Slightly "spritzig" with a shy first impression and a tantalizing, creamy, mouth feel even if a touch *"flabby". I am hard pressed to identify a specific fruit flavor in this wine which is truly unusual. I am not saying there isn't a delightful presentation of fruit, I just am struggling to find a descriptor for them. I do get rose petal at the rear palate. It finishes pretty quickly and while this tastes great there is something just "off" with the structure. 

Pacific Rim makes some easy drinking white wines for around $8 making them nice value wines. This one is around $14 perhaps because it is a single vineyard production which yields higher price tags.  Gewurztraminer is one of my favorite white wine grapes and while I do like the taste of this wine, it is not exactly a great example of "Gewurztraminer." I bashfully suggest passing it up.

*"Flabby" denotes a lack of acidity. This isn't atrociously flabby but still could use a sharper edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment