Friday, December 16, 2022

Shannon Ridge "Buck Shack" Zinfandel 2018 (Bourbon Barrel aged)


Gorgeous dark garnet/cranberry jelly hue with aromas of subdued dark berry fruit with a very gentle spice on the edge.  

Palate--Lots of fruit upfront, with a steely edge, bold, big mid palate with tons of blackberry jam and a finish that is fleeting.  (This is upon opening and needs some time to open up. *Check back...)

*After an hour: Loads of dark berry fruit, a beam of something like dark baker's chocolate, and still a quick finish.

I reviewed this (a different bottle) at the beginning of the month not realizing I had done so. The aging mind is frustrating... LOL! This Zin, with fruit from Lake County is supercharged with an alcohol level of 15.9% which is crazy over the top! 

After I reviewed this I checked on line for a price point since I paid $7 for it. It is listed at $25-$35 which is nuts! And while I respect the folks at the Wine Enthusiast I take great exception at their 92 point rating.  I would give it an 88 which is vastly different than their score. 

At any rate, I would not want to pay anywhere near the "list price" for this wine but at $7 I love it! 

I am pairing it with a French onion tart made with loads of smoky bacon, cottage cheese and sour cream on  pizza dough.  One of my wife's favorites. At that price raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment