Thursday, February 25, 2010

Marchesi Di Barolo 2003 wine review by (PB)


I opened this around noon and tasted it three times between 12:00 and 6:00. It is a black cherry hue on the lighter side that is showing some age at the rim. That's a little surprising for a Barolo but not unheard of.

Bouquet--Sweet fruity cherry aromas are present three feet away from the decanter. It is so strong and beautiful that it turns my head as I wonder where the gorgeous fragrance is coming from forgetting I had decanted the wine earlier. There is leather, berry cherry with eucalyptus or mint or both with dusty anise notes with prunes later in the breathing stage Very nice!

Palate--front palate of cedar, more at the mid palate, dry tannins, lighter than expected fruit with a wood finish. Although lighter than your typical Barolo, it is fully integrated and even peak though should hold for another year, possibly two.

This was a gift from a friend but I believe it runs around $50 which is on the lower end of the scale for Barolo, especially a 7 year old Barolo, which can run well over $100.

I served this with my friend pairing it with homemade gnocchi with a prosciutto and spring pea, butter and heavy cream sauce. Broccolini with a browned butter and toasted cashew sauce. What's not to love? Raise a glass!

1 comment:

  1. hey that was a really great post about Marchesi Di Barolo - we are offering special wine tastes of this exquisite wine at love wine brighton I would be grateful if you could have a look! Many thanks

    ReplyDelete