Friday, August 25, 2006

R.L. Buller and Son Victoria Tawny Port wine review by (PB)

This is the first Aussie port I have had. In the glass it is not the color I would have expected being more ruby than tawny. But the color is tinged with a hint of amber at the rim giving a cola sort of hue.

The nose if full of stewed prunes and raisins with a touch of root beer. Interesting.

In the mouth this wine is thick with a nice mouth feel if a little too heavy. It is sweet of course and a bit “flabby.” (Flabby is a common description of a wine, especially a sweet wine with insufficient acid in the structure.

After a couple days of sitting with a vacuum stopper, I poured another glass. The bouquet was enticing and just kept smelling it over and over trying to identify the variety of aromas present. Caramel? Chocolate? licorice? I am liking this more and more.

For the $10 I paid for it, it is a bit unusual, tasty and not bad! Give it a try and raise a glass.

1 comment:

  1. I could also taste Raisin, some Fig and a hint of molasses. For the price, this is a very good everyday dessert wine.

    ReplyDelete