Saturday, August 12, 2006

Ioppa Ghemme 2000 Wine Review (NW)

Cherry nose, some sweet spice, and a little too much alcohol vapor
Rich core with a meaty layer
Medium length finish with herbal and gamey notes

I found this to be an interesting wine, for sure, but not entirely enjoyable. I spent too much time trying to figure out what I was drinking and what I was tasting. Our friends were kind enough to supply this bottle, which was intending to be an experiment anyhow. They paid $13 for the wine.

Ghemme is one of those tiny denominations in Italy that I rarely see stocked in wine shops. For that reason, it was fun to sample. This one certainly had some meaty layers to it, but it never really came together. I'll have to try another when I have a chance now that I have a reference point. Try something new and raise a glass!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:43 AM

    Hi,
    Ghemme is a very small denomination. The largest winemaker is called Cantalupo (aka Antichi Vigneti di Cantalupo). Nearby you also find GATTINARA, which is better than Ghemme most of the times. Look for Travaglini or, even better, Antoniolo (smaller). Tha latter usually has one of the top 20 wines of Piedmont (which is not bad as beinga against Barolo and Barbaresco denomination).

    bacca
    bacca@tiscali.it

    ReplyDelete