Sunday, November 26, 2023

Kiona "Lemberger" 2020


Light ruby hue looking like a Pinot Noir with aromas of dried cherry and tart pie cherries, a slight licorice notes.

Palate-- Watery mouth feel with pronounced fruit, tannic, juicy, slightly tart, bitter rear palate, possibly a hint of smoke with a touch of a lingering finish.

*Lemberger is the grape of this wine which is a new varietal I've not only never had, but never heard of. Its origins are the "Red Mountain" AVA (American Viticultural Area) which is another unheard of wine term. 

*Okay, after looking this up, Lemberger is a grape I AM familiar with which goes by "Blaufränkisch." This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, and a touch of Merlot.  There was care taken in producing this wine and a bold adventure to be sure. At $8 I am glad I grabbed it when I did. It will pair nicely with robust cheeses, tomato based dishes and tonight I am having it with Chicago style pizza. At this price point, raise a glass!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment