Monday, January 15, 2007

Terrilogio Primitivo 2004 wine review by (PB)

I stumbled onto this Tuscan producer a couple months ago in Boston and found this "Primitivo " which is the genetic parent of Zinfandel. I have had only three Primitivo's now and they taste nothing like Zinfandel. This wine is a medium to light color with dried cherries and vegetal, steely bouquet. If I didn't know better I would have thought this was a Sangiovese with attitude.

In the mouth the wine is a bit tart, a bit tannic with tight dried cherry flavors. It needs to breathe.

With a half hour or more, it opens a bit but is basically the same wine. It has an odd balance and an odd mouth feel but then again, my taster is still not 100% after the season's first flu/cold. It's okay for the price of $8 but I wouldn't buy it again. Raise a glass never-the-less!

2 comments:

  1. You've reminded me of another cheap Primitivo bottle that, luckily, is worth revisting.

    Maybe try the equally bargain-priced Terrale if you ever come across it. Raise a glass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I'll keep an eye out!

    ReplyDelete