Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Gran Castellflorit Reserva 1998 wine review by (PB)

This Spanish red from the Penedes is 100 Cabernet Sauvignon which shows just how different wine can be thought made from the same grape. This is such an atypical Cab--at least from what I am used to. It is medium garnet with a tinge of age at the rim.

The bouquet contains light cherry notes, steel, with evergreen aromas but the nose, when smelled long and deep gives way to a sweet black licorice that reminds me a bit of a Barolo.

The palate is mature with big toast flavor and subdued fruit. the finish is "toasty."

This wine is a typical old world, wine with some age on it. There is some complexity with a peppery layer, licorice and round. I bought this solely because I saw the price--$11--and the age of the wine. My rule is if I find a wine with some age on it--since they are hard to come by in this price range--I will rarely pass it up. This was a nice value and a good find!
Raise a glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment