Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Fox Brook Shiraz 2006 Wine Review by billy


Nose:Surprisingly, there is some black cherry. Is this a shiraz?
Palate: surprisingly round. fruity.
Finish: surprisingly smooth and even.

So why is this wine surprising? Because I paid only $2.99 for this wine. Yes it was on sale. But it was on sale from (I believe) about $6. So when you get a wine for $2.99 and it even has a nose, some fruit, and a finish that doesn't make you clench your sphincter, it's a really nice find. This is a very fruit-forward wine. While not the world's best example of the varietal, it is definitely drinkable (I am even now finishing up the bottle that was opened last night). Paired with grilled burgers or served to someone just as a "red wine" it's definitely drinkable.

So remember that just because it cheap doesn't (necessarily) mean that it's bad. Many times it is, but when you find a quaffable wine for 3 bucks, hey, who can argue. And I'll raise a glass to that!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:12 PM

    I, too, was pleasantly surprised by this wine's flavor! Though I paid 4.99 on sale for the same bottle. I'm impressed and I'm getting more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:26 AM

    I just bought a bottle for $4.99 on sale in the middle of the Pacific (Kauai).I have a catering biz and bought some food to do a photo shoot. I cooked an Angus filet and corked this 2006 Shiraz... very nice! Lots of black cherry and more depth and character than I would have ever expected. A pleasant surprise. Great bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:52 AM

    I first boughy this wine for a surprise birthday party that i needed to stock the bar up for. and now i'm hooked on this! I now have my pantry stocked with this brand of shiraz. I bought mine at $1.99 a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:55 PM

    This wine was well worth what I paid for it, although it is hard to be disappointed when you only paid $1.88. $1.88 is less than I pay for vinegar. Anyway, as far as cheap wine goes I would pay 6 or 7 dollars for a bottle of this and I am happy to be able to buy it anytime (not on sale) for $1.88.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:33 PM

    here in Central Cali, all Foxbrook wines are always $1.97 at SaveMart supermarkets...and yeah, i was very surprised! Saves me the 45 mile drive to Trader Joes for everyday wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:26 PM

    I am from North Carolina and tried this wine while visiting California. I tried the white zin and for 1.88 was very pleased. I even brought some back with me but can not find it on the east coast. I have not found it less than 6.00 online and that does not include shipping. I would like to be able to get more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:46 PM

    Funny, I have been enjoying this wine as well! $1.89 at Lucky in California and if you buy 4 you get 10% off! yep $23 per case. I will say I tried the Cab and didnt like it much, but hell it was only $1.89!

    ReplyDelete