Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Clos de los Siete 2006 Wine Review (NW)



Tasting notes:

Concentrated nose of dark berries, black currant, and coffee

Dark, rich core of fruit and herbs

Finishes with heavy tannins accenting dark chocolate and herbs

Just arrived! I stopped in for a bottle of the 2005 and the 2006 was already in the bin. After one glass, I've decided it's not as good as the prior year. It has deep, dark fruit, coffee, and herbs, but finishes with heavy tannins that are distracting and mouth-puckering.

Still, I enjoyed the wine because I was in the mood for a dark, rich South American red. In this case, it's a wine from Argentina put together by Michel Rolland and a group of others. I paid $14 on sale, marked down from $15. Raise a glass!

3 comments:

  1. Too bad the 2006 isn't as good. We really enjoyed this wine the past year....as an aside, I think I just saw it at NH liquor for $12. (on sale of course).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:12 PM

    I had been trying to grab a bottle of the 2005, after having a rather nasty corked experience the first go 'round. I was hoping the 2006 would be a good substitute; pity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:19 PM

    The 2003 and 2004 was a very unique wine and an exceptional bargain at 90 points(WS). 2005 was just slightly off the mark. I was eager for the 2006 release, expecting a return to the previous quality. Unfortunately, the 2006 seems to be the least impressive. Decanting helps, but it's still no 2004.

    ReplyDelete