Sunday, April 23, 2006

Avalon Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 Wine Review (NW)

Nose of berries, cherry, and vanilla, as well as a tad herbal
Plush on the palate
Medium-length finish of toasty oak and vanilla traces, moderate tannins, and with some air blackberry and chocolate notes emerged

Reading my tasting notes, this wine sound amazing. The truth is that it is just okay. Obviously, there is a lot going on in the wine and it delivers some nice layers, but it's really a "get what you pay for" wine and cost a reasonable $14.

I'd give it another try and pair it with other foods. I forget what we were eating at the time, but it was definitely toward the end of the evening and everyone's palate was a little tired. It did seem to breath well, bringing more fruit and depth into the equation. I never detected the anise or licorice that PB found to be emerging, but I pinpointed a lot of other flavors. This was my first experience with this wine, and I'd say it's a decent buy for Napa Valley Cab at $14. Give it a try, and raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment