Friday, July 15, 2022

Duckhorn "Decoy" Cabernet Sauvignon (California)

Nice intense black cherry hue with a deep dense jammy aromas of dark plum, blackberry pie, hint of mint or cedar.

Palate--First impression is a lovely textured body, with full boy presence, silky tannins, lovely quality fruit with a lingering berry pie finish which just hangs on and on.

When my brother said he had a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon that I was welcome to as he was leaving for a couple day I was excited when I saw the Decoy label.  But then I saw "California" and my excitement went into the tank. 

As a "sourced" wine, meaning the grapes only had to come from somewhere in California which often means some grower's excess that he couldn't dump anywhere else. BUT--I also knew the character of the folks at Duckhorn and knew they wouldn't make crap.

Boy was I surprised on my initial slurp. This is a solid Cabernet expertly made and for the price of around $20, a value wine!  I happened to pair it with Chicago deep dish pizza as I was visiting my 93 yo mother on her birthday. A really nice surprise, well done and left me sad when the bottle was empty.  Look for it and try it and raise a glass!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment