Thursday, February 17, 2022

Scotto Family Cellars Old Vine Zinfandel (Lodi) 2017


Crystalline ruby hue with aromas of spicy canned apple rings, tart cranberry, and savory spices.

* Palate--unimpressive first impression, with a lip smacking foundation, zesty spices mid-palate, with a clunky fruity rear. 

While my favorite Zins tend to come out of Sonoma, much has changed in the wine world. The mega conglomerates like Bronco, Deagio, and Constellation have taken over many independent wineries not infrequently it seems shredding some of the best those independents did in the name of profit. Mind you I have NO problem with someone selling their company I am simply lamenting the tragedy--in my opinion, of what gets lost in the process.

At any rate--Scotto is a value Zin which costs a bargain price of $8.50. I have consumed a couple cases of it and will continue.

*Full disclosure: The above wine was open for nearly 24 hours when I did this review. That's not really fair so I will be re-reviewing this value Zin again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment