Sunday, February 20, 2022

Gnarly Head "Authentic Black" 2019

 


This wine presents as a brooding, dark, nearly black wine with big jammy aromas of ripe black cherry, savory spice, cigar ash, and a slight twinge of blueberry.

Palate--KaBoom out of the gate the thickish structure, velvety tannins, loads and loads of jammy blackberry with a touch of espresso mid-palate, and a finish that just assaults the palate with enduring dark fruit.

I call this style a 20 megaton fruit bomb! Not everyone likes this type of wine but I love them as well as the more austere, old world breed.  People think these are hard to pair with food but I disagree. You might have to be a little sensitive to what you pair with it but just delay taking a drink after eating something on your plate that wouldn't quite work with this.  Minutes later and it is still lingering on my palate. 

My first thought was Syrah and/or Petite Sirah blend (maybe Zinfandel and a touch of Cabernet).

I paid $8 for this at a local grocery store and I am loving it paring it with my wife's and my Sunday night tradition of pizza.  It will do nicely so raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment