Friday, January 24, 2014

Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva 2007 wine review by (PB)

Pretty garnet hue with aromas rising of sweet cherry, with spices even from a distance. Up close on the swirl and into the bowl, bouquet of big earthy forest floor and evergreen galore,with notes of black licorice.

Palate--Relaxed, integrated structure, with mouth filling flavors of all the above aromas notes. Tannins are still a tad immature meaning this bottle has more age to go before fully integrated.

I reviewed this wine sometime ago and I will compare what I wrote then to now. I believe I liked this wine better the first time around which is why I bought more. This is till a really fine Chianti especially at the $20 price point. I just liked it better when it a was bit younger--at least that is my memory.

I reviewed this wine back in June of 2012 and indeed my memory was correct. I have heard of wines going through a "dumb phase" and candidly I can't say I know what that is or if it truly exists. But this is such a fine wine with all the right stuff, if there is such a thing as a dumb phase that wines sometimes go through, then perhaps that explains the clear distinction from this 07 to the last.

Either way, at $20, this is a stellar example of excellent Chianti from one of several recent storied vintages so raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment