Monday, February 28, 2011

Souverein Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 Alexander Valley review by (PB)


Purple garnet hue with spring flower aromas with rich dark fruit and a touch of chocolate with more floral berry fruit on opening.

Palate--Nice first impression with an almost candied front. Black cherry and black berry fruit on a foundation that is built to last. Finishes with a touch of cola and smoke.

This is drinking well right now but should be a very nice big wine Cab in another 2-3 years. It is a good example of the grape!

Certain wines bring up nice memories from my early days of oenology. Chateau Souverein wines were one of my earliest wine experiences--when I could afford a little splurge. It's not that they were expensive but when you have a family, are a student etc,well you know. That was over 30 years ago. In 2005 they were purchased by Francis Ford Copolla of the patronymic winery in NAPA. He's done a nice job of maintaining quality!

I will serve this with a grilled grass fed NY strip steak in protest of yet more snow! I think I paid around $17 for this nice wine. Raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment