Saturday, March 24, 2007

Chateau Larose Trintaudon 1999 Wine Review (NW)



Tasting notes:

Nose of red berries and tobacco

An elegant dry, fruitiness on the palate

Drying finish of dusty earth, some anise, and more tobacco and red berries

For an interesting comparison, read my review of this wine I posted 18 months ago on this blog. At the time, I was disappointed because the wine wasn't very good. I ordered it at a high-end and very reputable restaurant, but it tasted really flat. How is this possible?

One explanation is that the bottle was corked and I didn't know enough to send it back. Another explanation is that the wine was in an early "dumb phase" where the fruit was obscured and the layers weren't really coming together. This can happen with Bordeaux and other fine reds, but this is usually something that's discussed in reference to really expensive wines.

In this case, the bottle I had recently was very enjoyable. It had a dry, classy quality and showed nice layers. While I was wandering through a local wine shop, I noticed a few half bottles of this stashed on an end cap. I picked one up for just $9 and I'm glad I did. If you happen to see a 1999 hanging aroud, check it out for yourself. I hope you get a good bottle, because if you do you're in for a treat. And raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment