Monday, May 09, 2005

What to do with that bottle of wine (billy)

I have a bottle of wine in my cellar (Viu Manent 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon) that was a gift. Now, I reviewed that wine HERE and, as you can tell from that review, my opinion was pretty darn low (if buried under the feet of Lucifer in the fourth ring of the ninth circle of Dante's Hell can be considered low).

So here is my quandry. The wine is sitting in my cellar. I'm definitely not going to drink it. Yet I am loathe to simply pour it out. I don't know, maybe it's because my father was always expounding on the merits of frugality and stewardship.

Anyway, my question is this:
Do I keep it here and save it for an event with the less enologically inclined? Or do I give it away as a kind gift to a poor bloke who will probably not know the difference yet will appreciate the thoughtfulness of the gift?
I would wrap it up nicely.

What do you think? Leave a comment with your advice.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:57 PM

    I am assuming the bottle in your cellar is a new unopened bottle of the wretched wine you previosuly reviewed rather than the left over wine. That being the case I would suggest holding onto it until you have an event to go to or are hosting with others and serve it up then. Or--you could use it as a molitov cocktail except wine isn't too volatile; or you could use it for cooking but even with that, you would have to use the bottle up within a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:30 PM

    Hmmm,
    molitov Cocktail. Fire is always fun. Unfortunately, not enough alcohol there. The addition of something a bit more potent might actually improve the wine though....interesting...

    The cooking wine idea is actually not a bad one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:23 PM

    make a homeless person happy that might indulge in fermented drink now and then

    ReplyDelete