Monday, May 09, 2005

Rosso Del Salento 2003 (PB)

This Italian red is a light cherry color on the pour with nice fruit in the nose and a grapey bouquet with a slight touch of wood. In the mouth there is a flavor of raw fish (not bad, that’s just what it reminds me of) and steel with a solid tannin base but very short lived on the finish with an after hint of caramel.

I purposely gave this a couple hours to breath and it didn’t change as far as any new aromas but the flavors which were present at the open were just intensified greatly. This is a NICE wine with good structure and balance with nice raisin notes but not like the new world wines that taste like raisin bran. At $9 the only regret I have is having bought only one bottle. The two hour drive to the New Hampshire store where I bought it is just too far away. We paired this with a marvelous Carbonara with an added New England touch of fiddle heads. If you’re not from New England, you probably have no idea what I’m talking about. Trust me, it was wonderful with the homemade linguine. I’d love to raise a glass, but it’s gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment