Sunday, August 02, 2026

Stolpman Vineyards GRENACHE (Santa Barbara) 2023

Very light ruby on the pour with aromas of spicy bright cherry-berry, and while I keep sniffing for more I don't find it.

Palate--First impression is a much bigger wine than its hue might indicate. Acidic boldness but not overpowering--give it another couple years perhaps. Finish is quick with not a lot of complexity as I expected but then again the reason I love Grenache is for its fruity simplicity bordering on elegance when well made as Stolpman does to perfection. It is a gorgeous wine in the glass by appearance but a touch disappointing on the palate. Too young--perhaps. 

Many years ago whole on a wine trip to Santa Barbara I stopped in Jaffurs and met some of the staff but Craig was in Europe--go figure...  :)  After a superior contact with these good folks we made our way to town to the tasting room of Stolpman.  It was spacious, friendly, elegant but not pretentious, and the staff there was also superb! Great conversation... So when I ran across this at a New Hampshire Liquor store I was stunned and had to buy it. Living in Maine specifically I have never seen a Stolpman production in 4 decades. I was truly excited to find this and while listed at $40 it was on sale for $17. Fresh, clean, mouth watering juiciness I will be pairing it with my Sunday night "Lou Malnatti's" Chicago Deep Dish pizza and I know it will be great so raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.