Friday, October 07, 2022

Honig Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2011

 


Darker garnet hue with aromas of pronounced olive on opening, (the wine is at cellar temp. (54 degrees F) and hasn't been breathed. Subdued bouquet with light berries--needs to breathe and warm up.  After breathing and warming up, there is an amazing fresh fruit in abundance 3 inches above the rim of the glass. Nose in glass has a sweet chalky presence with a hint of spice.  A subtle hint of mocha at the rim after sitting a while but it is fleeting. The prominent olive aroma has dissipated greatly which is nice
because it was too pronounced on opening.

Palate--Mouth filling rich dark berries with espresso, tar, nice balanced tannic structure which can still mature, smoke, more intense fruit flavors.  Finishes with a sense of a mouth full of wine and a hint of black licorice. 

I bought this in LA about a million years ago for $45 and laid it down in my small, temperature controlled wine fridge. It is always hard to open special bottles of wine but the day must come. This is it and I am serving it with grilled filet mignon.  The finish is still lingering in my mouth. 

This wine at 12 years of age is still young. The structure of acid and tannins will keep this wine for many years to come where it will only become more integrated, and more complex. Now I wish I had another 6 bottles to keep again but I cherish these rare occasions where I can taste a different level of wine. This was a great treat and a perfect accompaniment with my tenderloin. All I can say is "Raise a Glass!"


No comments:

Post a Comment