Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Giapoza Cabernet Sauvignon 2020

 


Garnet hue with aromas of "fish" seriously, berries and savory spice, nothing wowing...

Palate--"Sweet" profile up front with spices in the middle, burnt wood, and lots of decent berry fruit all over. 

First impressions are that this is an easy drinking wine with some character and lots of flavor which is a decent start for any wine. 

Now there is a "get a grip factor here" which is I paid $7 for this bottle but I see it on line for twice this.. 

Why did I dare to get a Cabernet Sauvignon at this price point?  The tag on the shelf of this wine said it was sourced from NAPA fruit. What this means is that a farmer had some left over cabernet grapes and was dumping them at a greatly reduced rate. I have had many experience with such sourced wines which were unbelievably good precisely due to of the source of the grapes. It doesn't happen often but when it does you can get a sensational bottle of Napa Cab for example at a fraction of the price you would pay if you bought a labeled NAPA Cabernet. 

So how is this wine?  I didn't want to like it on first impressions but it has really grown on me. Of course it is young and will improve for a couple three years and is quite pleasant. If I have the opportunity I will buy more so raise a glass! 

No comments:

Post a Comment