Monday, May 16, 2022

Nemea 2005

 


Above the rim there is a faint lingering memory of the red fruit from which it came. More prominent is the classic aroma of old red wine which to me smells like a slightly burn caramel. I like the bouquet!

Palate--In the mouth, it is sharply acidic and sour. I did not want to swallow it and emitted it into my yard. The finish was the best part of the quaff and no pun intended. 

From what I am tasting, this was probably a pretty decent, if not very decent wine from the ancient lands of Greece. The person who gave it to me had deep Greek connections and obtained it on it one of his trips and just left it to age. 

This Greek wine was given to me having found it stashed away at her home forgotten about. I did not have any expectations for this old Greek wine except to dump it. But every wine experience increases one's knowledge of the whole and so I was eager to see if it was even palatable.

Dark magenta with significant "bricking" at the rim.  (Bricking is what happens as a red wine ages and turns from purple, to red to a brownish red to brown.)  Bricking does not necessarily mean the wine is completely shot.

What surprised me was as I opened this bottle there were still faint remnants of "fruit" in the bouquet and there were no real "off putting" aromas; only what you would expect from an old wine. Optimistic, I sipped and was making a face at the intense sourness of the wine but it was not however vinegar...yet. Again there was a very faint taste of red berries but it was subtle!  As I spit the wine out, the most pleasant aspect of this geriatric creation was the finish. It actually had a not horrible ending. 

These are great learning experiences that cannot be duplicated. I would love to try a younger version of this bottle.  If it was even drinkable at this age, I say it's probably worth "raising a glass!" OPA!

No comments:

Post a Comment