Saturday, October 24, 2009

Gaetano D'Aquino Chianti Riserva 2004 wine review by (PB)

This is one of the great value wines of 09. I paid an absurd $7 for this and is superior. Great bouquet of chocolate with black pepper, spice, cherries, and with a little air, cinnamon arises.

Palate--Nice Sangiovese traits on a well made foundation with more cherry and a super value so raise a glass. This is a truly classic Tuscan varietal and should cost twice this much if not more! If I am able to get down to Boston where I found it, I am stocking up!

(Later addition 11-7-09; I just returned from a quick trip to Boston expressly to buy more of this wine! What does that mean? $14 in tolls; $35 in gas; 8 hours of driving. ) I grabbed a case as well as a few more treasures. Now THAT's raising a glass!)

2 comments:

  1. I just picked up a bottle of this at Trader Joe's for $6. At that price, I wasn't sure whether or not it would be any good. But your description of it makes me want to open it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A favorite of mine, I take a ferry ride just to get this at Trader Joes.
    I like all the Daquino wines especially the Momtepulciano which is my favorite and dirt cheap.

    ReplyDelete