Friday, October 09, 2009

Cantina Terlano Pinot Grigio 2007 (Alto Adige) wine review by (PB)


Tonight I am making homemade crab stuffed ravioli with a scallop, parmesan cream sauce and this is my pairing wine. This is a higher end wine than I would normally spend on this varietal but I wanted to see what a few more dollars would buy.

It presents with a lighter gold/straw hue and a bouquet that emits powdery, gentle vanilla with mango, pineapple and a tropical fruit mash that is nearly seductive.

Palate--first impression is disappointing with a slightly overpowering sense of alcohol and a bitter foundation that distracts from the fruit which is in rather short supply. The texture is somewhat creamy but with citrus notes and an off flavor that is less than appealing. The finish however is actually the best part of the wine with lingering yellow apple and pear notes. I paid $17 for this wine and I just hope it is better with my pasta than it is solo. I'll let you know!

(My pasta was good--not special--and the wine pretty much the same. It worked but not worth a repeat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment