Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rocca Delle Macie Chianti Classico 2001 wine review by (PB)


2001 was a very good year for Chianti Classico (red label) so when I saw a magnum of this wine for $14, I snatched it up. The 750ml bottle usually runs around $11 and you just don't see the 01's.

I was not disappointed except that I should have bought up several more.

This wine is perfectly peaked with a touch of browning on the rim. there are cherry notes with baked fruit aromas that concerned me but the palate was really nice.

Fresh fruit with nice acid and bready notes with a touch of pepper. This is just a thoroughly integrated wine that has had enough to reach maturity. That doesn't happen too often in these days of "wine ready to drink" on release. Raise a glass.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:54 PM

    Excellent find here. This is a fantastic time to be opening the 01. I found the Chianti Classico to be very well balanced and exhibiting just the right amount of berry fruit.

    Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to buy many bottles either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:33 PM

    Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:52 AM

    yeah we sell it at the resturaunt that i work at. People love it. Its not to dry or fruity, we call it our 'Best Middle'

    ReplyDelete