Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage Vines Zinfandel 2005 Wine Review (NW)



Tasting notes:

Wild berries and spice on the nose

Heavy, plush texture on the palate

Finish a bit hot, with lingering boysenberry, cinnamon, and chocolate notes

I've enjoyed the 2004 and 2005 Zinfandels from California. I must admit, though, I need to be in the mood. These are typically rich, spicy wines with high alcohol content. Although not all producers follow this template, the ripe grapes that have been harvested lately can producer some big, big wines.

One complaint I hear is that Zinfandel can overpower food. I paired this with a hearty Lebanese dish, but I often drink Zinfandel after dinner in front of a movie.

This wine is a little bit hot with alcohol intensity, but it has a lot of good flavor. I paid $14 for the bottle, which seems pretty typical. Raise a glass!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:58 PM

    I had this wine poured at Omaha Steakhouse Restuarant in Nashville, TN. I was pleasantly surprised and had never heard of it. I am no huge wine snob, but I know what I like, and I liked this wine alot! It was easy to drin

    ReplyDelete