Friday, October 27, 2006

Mas Delmera Tarragona Tempranillo 2004 Wine Review (NW)

Plum, berry, and pepper on the nose
Clean, fleshy core on the palate, with some herbal notes
Soft, smooth finish that has a peppery kick at the tail end

I've tasted my way through a lot of Spanish wines this year. At the beginning of 2006, I made it my goal to get a better understanding of the wines from Spain. Half way into the year, I kept going back to Tempranillo. Obviously, this varietal is readily available and there are a lot of bottlings at reasonable prices. I found the styles to vary quite a bit, but didn't always end up with the right ones.

While this wine has some nice qualities for $11, I'd rather have a Tempranillo with a richer flavor and a little less pepper. Still, this wine is pretty well made, and as always, it's seems versatile.

We'll continue to see a lot of value priced wine from Spain, and Tempranillo will continue to lead the charge. Enjoy exploring this aisle, as it won't break the bank. And raise a glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment