Monday, October 09, 2006

Cline Ancient Vine Zinfandel 2005 wine review by (PB)

Cline tends to put out a solidly made Zin year after year. This one, a step up from their normal production was a bargain buying it at Sam’s Club for under $12. It is a pretty garnet with some youthful hint purple in the color. The bouquet on opening is brambly with nice berries and touch of spice.

The wine is a bit closed at first and a bit hot but some breathing room should take care of this.

With a half an hour or so this wine yields up full berry flavors, a meaty nose, plenty of fruit and is well made and just a forthright, sturdy, unpretentious wine. I had it with grilled pork chops, not because it was the pairing I would choose but because I wanted this Zin and I wanted grilled chops so what the heck?

It wasn’t a great pairing but it was okay. At any rate, I enjoyed both so raise a glass to the waning days of warmth and sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment