Sunday, May 14, 2006

2004 Graves Chateau Graville-Lacoste Review by (billy)


Eyes: Pale straw
Nose: Steeely honey, crisp, melon hints, a bit tight.
Palate: Minerals and melon rind with a good acid structure and fine balance.
Finish: Pleasant and smooth. An even decrescendo.

I paid $14.99 for this wine. I'd call this a fair price for a nice wine. I've never had a Graves (region of France) wine before so there is not much against which I can directly compare. However, I really enjoyed the mineral and steel characteristics (lighter than an in your face Chablis) with the smooth honey and melon hints. It is a nice change of pace from the typical Chardonnay. Though Sauvignon Blanc grapes are the primaries in the Graves region (for white wine production) the difference in character between a Graves and a California or Oregon Sauvignon Blanc (or Fume Blanc) is evident enough to make them quite distinctive.

I would pick up another two bottles of this again if I get the chance. One to have on hand for a nice summer's evening and one to lay down for several years.

On this Mother's Day, Raise a Glass of Graves to your Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment