Monday, August 22, 2022

Chateau Ste. Michelle "Gewurztraminer" 2020 (Columbia Valley)

 


Pale straw hue with aromas of ample pear and apple with a suggesiton of cinnamon, with tropical fruit.

Palate--Disappointing first impression with a somewhat *flabby foundation.  Lime and citrus notes with a lightly bitter finish which is actually kind of interesting.

Gewurztraminer (pronounced, Ge-VURTS-tra-MEEN-er) is the notable grape of Alsace (France/northern Germany) It is one of my favorite white grapes and I used to drink them far and wide.  The Alsatian/German styles are quite different than the domestic style being much "sweeter" but kjore accurately less dry than the European counterparts. It is an under appreciated grape for sure. 

Ste. Michelle has made much better Gewurz's than this one. 

*Flabby is used to describe a wine that is sweet but lacking the acidity to carry the sweetness without it being a bit cloying. This isn't bad at all but as a matter of preference, I like my white wines to make my tongue bleed with a razor like acidity!  

I think I paid maybe $10 for it which is decent enough but if you want a better experience, buy a couple domestics and a couple Alsatians or German Gewurz's and explore the range.  

No comments:

Post a Comment