Saturday, March 05, 2022

The Wanted Zin 2018 (Puglia)

Black cherry hue with aromas of rose petals, sweet spices, 

Palate--Sweet first impression with hefty dark berry flavors with a huge burst of savory spices mid-palate on a new world structure, finishes with the remnants of dark berry and their skins.

Here's the weird thing: This hales from Puglia, Italy!  Now Zinfandel "was"unique, and totally American. BUT--it's genetic progenitor is from the primitivo grape that lives in Italy. I have had several primitivos none of which tasted at all like Zinfandel which happens to be my all time favorite varietal that I can afford...

So when I saw this recently labeled Zinfandel but coming from Italy, I had to snatch it up and see what it's all about.  YES--it tastes like Zin and frankly not at a bad quaff. It was purposely vinified to be like the American Zins we are used to and aged in American Oak. I have to hand it to them; they succeeded!

At $12, I glad I tried it and perhaps it will be a new day for Zinfandel over seas.   Raise a glass!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment