Saturday, February 18, 2012

La Candelaria Cubo Seleccion La Mancha Tempranillo 2009 Wine Review (NW)


Tasting notes:

Sweet aromas of vanilla extract and red licorice on the nose

Medium bodied on the palate

Smooth finish of candied cherry, milk chocolate, and maple syrup

Summary:

I had a chance to try this wine a second time as I study the red wines of Spain. Once again, I'm disappointed with this wine after reading a good review highlighting its full flavor and value price. At $12 or so it's not expensive, but there are many other wines from Spain in this price point I'd reach for instead.

The problem with this wine that I mentioned last month is that it's over oaked which masks the real fruit character. This isn't often a problem with Tempranillo from Spain, but I can see it creeping onto the scene as winemakers try to cater to an international style of oak accents with their base level wines. Tempranillo is grown all over Spain and produces a variety of styles, but I've learned you need to be choosy in the value category. Especially lately. Raise a glass of something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment